Household Recycling including Electronic Items
Household recyclables including home electronics are collected in either 40 or 90 gallon City provided containers only.
Please help us to provide efficient service for you by following these guidelines:
- Have containers and/or items for pickup at the street by 7:00 a.m. the day of collection.
- Put the container on the street with the handle toward the road.
- Keep at least 3 feet of clearance between your container and any other item (bags, limbs, bulky items, mailboxes, cable boxes, or vehicles) including the green garbage container.
- Remove containers from public view at the end of collection day.
- No other recycling will be collected outside of your City container except for yard waste. If you experience an overflow please please the overflow in a bag and place it on top of the cart.
- On windy days, place a brick or heavy object on top of recyclables to keep them from blowing out of overflowing recycling carts. We are not responsible for cleanup of objects blown out of recycling cart.
- Please contact us immediately if you should experience a problem with your service.
The City of Aiken now offers electronics recycling. These items are picked up free on the day of your regular pickup. Please call ahead to our at 803-642-7613 to schedule the pickup of any of these items.
- Aluminum and steel cans.
- Newspaper, magazines, inserts, catalogs, phone books, office paper, brown paper bags, pasteboard, such as cereal boxes (remove inner plastic), gift boxes and food boxes.
- Glass bottles and jars, any color.
- Plastics #1 & #2, such as milk jugs, bleach, detergent bottles and beverage containers. No plastic tops.
- Flatten all cardboard and rinse all containers.
These items should be placed in your garbage roll cart
- Aerosol cans.
- Light bulbs, plate glass, mirrors, ceramics, dishes or windowpanes.
- Waxed cardboard and waxed frozen food boxes.
- Plastic caps.
- Plastic containers that have previously contained hazardous household waste, such as bug killer.
- Plastic grocery bags.