The City of Aiken Arts Commission in partnership with the Aiken Downtown Development Association is accepting submissions for visual artists to participate in a public art campaign.
The creation of public art has been a longtime goal of the City of Aiken Arts Commission and the Aiken Downtown Development Association. Art work will be replaced each April and is meant to reflect themes relative to the Aiken community.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are seeking visual artists with a connection to Aiken to enhance our rich arts culture by creating a mural that will be displayed on a local historic landmark, the City of Aiken Municipal Building. Artists interested should be familiar with Aiken’s history and be willing to create a work of art that will enhance our community. Upon selection, the artist(s) will design, create and execute the installation of the mural.
The selection panel will consist of members of the City of Aiken Arts Commission and the Aiken Downtown Development Association Design Committee. Four finalists will be chosen. The community will then be invited to vote on their favorite concept/design. The top 4 artists may begin to solicit votes at this time. The artist with the highest number of votes will then be selected as the winning muralist for 2020. The artist will also be awarded a stipend to cover project costs. All project arrangements will be outlined in a contract and given to the winning artist upon selection. Teams of more than one artist may apply. Selection will be based on:
- Completed application
- Artist’s statement (limited to 250 words, explain your connection to Aiken and provide an overview of your concept/design for this project)
- Examples of past work (include photos or link to website)
- Artist’s resume with 3 references including galleries or shows where your work was displayed
- Artwork will be affixed to the back of the City of Aiken Municipal Building facing The Alley
- Artwork will be painted on 3 – 4X8 primed PVC panels (installed by the City of Aiken prior to painting)
- Mural size 8ft tall by 16ft wide
- Minimal maintenance is required
- Please include a list of desired materials on the back of the application. An outdoor quality paint must be used as artwork will be exposed to weather conditions
DATES TO REMEMBER
Applications due: Friday, February 14th, 2020 by 5 pm
Finalists chosen: Tuesday, February 18th, 2020
Artists notified: Thursday, February 20th, 2020
Voting begins: Friday, February 21st, 2020
Voting ends: Friday, February 28th, 2020
Project begins: Monday, March 2nd, 2020
Project ends: Wednesday, April 1st, 2020
Artist’s reception: Friday, April 3rd, 2020