City of Aiken Economic Development Department
111 Chesterfield St. S • Aiken, SC 29801 • 803-502-4997
City of Aiken Facade Improvement Program
The City of Aiken’s Facade Improvement Program aims to improve the appearance of downtown commercial buildings. Through this 50-50 grant program, commercial property owners and/or business tenants are able to make improvements of up to $10,000 (lifetime) to the front and other exterior portions of commercial buildings that can be seen from the public right-of-way. Once approved improvements are made, the City will reimburse half of the cost up to a total match of $5,000.
Who is eligible to participate in the City of Aiken’s Facade Improvement Program?
- Any property zoned DB ( Downtown Business) and located in the Old Aiken Overlay District or listed individually on the Aiken Historic Register.
- In order to be eligible, all work must first be approved through the Certificate of Appropriateness design review and approval process.
Certificates are issued by the Design Review Board.
- The facade to be improved must be visible from a public right- of-way or alleyway.
- The grant may be used for the following exterior improvements: correction of exterior code violations, painting and siding, exterior repairs, door and window replacement, awnings, trim work, enhanced entryways, display windows, or any other work as approved by the planning director.
- The grant may NOT be used for the following: roofs, dormers, entrance floors, domes, cupolas, steeples, chimneys ( unless part of the facade), and turrets.