Permitting / Codes
City of Aiken Residential Swimming Pool Requirements
The City of Aiken has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) and the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC). Click here for more information on the adopted building codes.
- The IPMC requires swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas containing water more than 24 inches in depth to be completely surrounded by a fence or barrier not less 48 inches in height above the finished ground level measured on the side of the barrier away from the pool (IPMC code section 303). Click here to view the IPMC code.
- The ISPSC requires outdoor pools and spas and indoor swimming pools to be surrounded by a barrier the complies with a barrier top not less than 48 inches above grade where measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the pool or spa (ISPSC code section 305). Click here to view ISPSC code section 305 for more information on:
- Barrier height and clearance
- Openings in the barrier
- Solid barrier surfaces
- Mesh fence as a barrier
- Spacing of horizontal, vertical, and diagonal members
- Chain link dimensions
- Barrier setbacks
- Gates and latches
- Using a structure wall as a barrier and window/door alarms
- Onground residential pool structure as a barrier
- Natural barriers
- The City of Aiken Zoning Ordinance requires non-inflatable residential swimming pools to be located in the side yard or rear yard of a residence (reference 3.4.2 (B) and 3.4.2 (G) Accessory Building or Structure). All swimming pools shall meet the latest building code requirements for fencing (reference 3.4.7). Click here to view the Zoning Ordinance.
Please call the Building Inspection Division at 803-642-7675 if you have questions.