Permitting / Codes
City of Aiken Residential Swimming Pool Requirements
All Swimming Pools shall be provided with a barrier (fence) meeting the following requirements:
- The top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches above grade measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the swimming pool. The maximum vertical clearance between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall be 2 inches measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the swimming pool. Where the top of the pool structure is above grade, the barrier is authorized to be at ground level or mounted on top of the pool structure and the maximum vertical clearance between the top of the pool structure and the bottom of the barrier shall be 4 inches.
- Openings in the barrier (fence) shall not allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter sphere.
- Solid barriers which do not have openings shall not contain indentations or protrusions except for normal construction tolerances and tooled masonry joints.
- Where the barrier is composed of diagonal members, the maximum opening formed by the diagonal members shall be no more than 1.75 inches.
- Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is less than 45 inches, the horizontal members shall be located on the swimming pool side of the fence. Spacing between vertical members shall not exceed 1.75 inches in width. Where there are decorative cutouts within vertical members, spacing within the cutouts shall not exceed 1.75 inches in width.
- Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is 45 inches or more, spacing between vertical members shall not exceed 4 inches. Where there are decorative cutouts within vertical members, spacing within the cutouts shall not exceed 1.75 inches in width.
- Maximum mesh size for chain link fences shall be a 2.25 inch square unless the fence is provided with slats fastened at the top or the bottom which reduce the openings to no more than 1.75 inches.
Access gates shall comply with the above barrier requirements and shall be equipped to accommodate a locking device. Pedestrian access gates shall open outward away from the pool and shall be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Gates other than pedestrian access gates shall have a self-latching device. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches from the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate at least 3 inches below the top of the gate, and the gate and barrier shall have no opening greater than 0.5 inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism.
Dwelling Wall as a Barrier
Where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier, one of the following shall apply:
- The pool shall be equipped with a power safety cover which complies with ASTM F 1346.
- Doors with direct access to the pool through that wall shall be equipped with an alarm which produces an audible warning when the door and/or its screen, if present, are opened. The alarm shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2017. The deactivation switch(es) shall be located at least 54 inches (1372 mm) above the threshold of the door; or
- Other means of protection, such as self-closing doors with self-latching devices, which are approved by the governing body, shall be acceptable as long as the degree of protection afforded is not less than the protection afforded in items 1 and 2 above.