Both Nationwide and locally law enforcement agencies are experiencing incidents of “Robbery by Appointment.” In these incidents victims are using social media to buy or sell items. The buyers, in our local incidents, have become the victims of Armed Robbery, Attempted Armed Robbery or an Assault and Battery planned by the alleged seller of the item.
Aiken Public Safety is offering the following tips to reduce your risk of becoming a victim of “Robbery by Appointment”:
- Meet during daylight hours, if possible.
- Meet in a public place, preferably inside, in view of video cameras. Meet in Aiken Public Safety’s lobby or the Traffic Court parking lot at the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office. Officers and Deputies do not need to be present at the transaction.
- Check with your financial institution; meet in the lobby if permitted.
- Take a friend with you.
- Tell a family member where you are going.
- Bring a fully charged cell phone, if you have one.
- Be cautious and trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel right, leave.
- Take a minimum wallet with limited cash and your identification.
- Leave your jewelry at home.
- If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Stick to the plan (and the payment). Do not go to another location at the last minute, DO NOT get into the car with anyone.
- Save all communications with the seller/buyer to include text messages, emails, voicemail’s etc…
For more information or if you should have any further concerns or questions please do not hesitate to contact The Aiken Department of Public Safety at 803-642-7620.