Aiken Public Safety is reminding citizens to lock their vehicles to deter thieves. Public Safety Officers have responded to 14 incidents of car break-ins between 2/11/18 and 2/15/18 across the City of Aiken. None of the vehicles entered appeared to be locked. An unsecured vehicle containing valuables in plain view is a low risk opportunity for someone who steals.
Tips to avoid car break-ins:
- Do not leave valuables in plain view.
- Do not leave windows or sunroof open.
- Lock your vehicle.
- Do not leave keys or extra keys in vehicle.
- Do not leave garage door opener in plain view.
- Give your vehicle a second look over for valuables before you leave it.
If you find an open door or window to your residence:
- Do not enter – the perpetrator may still be inside.
- Call the Police on a cell phone or neighbor’s phone.
- Do not touch anything or clean anything until it has been processed for evidence by Police.
- Lock your doors.
- Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
- Never leave keys under doormats or flower pots.
- Have adequate exterior lighting.