834 Beaufort St NE • Aiken, SC 29801 • 803-642-7620
A common sense guide to Terrorism Awareness
If a terrorist attack occurs
- Remain calm and follow the instructions of emergency personnel.
- Be alert to secondary hazards such as falling debris or additional devices.
- If you are trapped in debris:
- Stay in your area so that you don’t kick up dust. Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing
- Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can hear where you are. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort – shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.
- If told to Shelter in Place, go inside immediately. Shut all windows and doors,close the fireplace damper, and turn off air conditioning and ventilation systems.
- Monitor the media for emergency information and bulletins. The emergency radio stations are: WGAC 580AM, and WKXS 92.7 FM
- DO NOT rush to the scene to volunteer. Contact the City of Aiken City Manager’s Office to provide volunteer services and donated goods to those individuals or area most in need.
If you receive suspicious mail
- Call 911
- Do not handle, shake, or empty the letter or package. Place it in a plastic bag, such as a Ziploc bag or plastic sheet protector.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for 30-60 seconds; then wash your face. Blow and wipe your nose.
- Close the doors and windows of the room where the package is located and turn off air conditioning, heating and fans.
- Collect the names of all persons who have had contact with the letter or package.
- If you develop flu-like symptoms, see your health care provider immediately.
How to report an emergency
- Call 911
- Give your exact location
- Give the telephone number you are calling from
- Describe the emergency
- What happened?
- Where did it happen?
- Who is involved?
- Are injuries or weapons involved?
- Stay on the phone as long as it is safe to do so.
Reporting a bomb threat
- Time and date the threat was received
- How was the threat reported?
- Ask the caller:
- WHEN is the bomb going to explode?
- WHERE is the bomb right now?
- WHAT kind of bomb is it?
- WHY did you place the bomb?
- WHERE are you calling from?
- Describe the caller’s voice
- Describe background noises
- Note the time the caller hung up
If you need to talk to someone in time of crisis, contact the Aiken County Help Line dial 211 or 803-648-9900
For more information on preparing for emergencies, visit the Red Cross website at www.redcross.org
For more information on possible terrorist threats, protection, and prevention, visit the Department of Homeland Security at www.dhs.gov