City of Aiken Design Review Board (Historic Preservation)
The City of Aiken’s Design Review Board, comprised of seven members appointed by the City Council, reviews applications for Certificates of Appropriateness for construction, alteration, demolition, and relocation of structures in the Historic Overlay District and the Old Aiken Overlay District. As a quasi-judicial body, decisions for the Board on Certificate applications are final, with the only appeal to a court. The Board also makes recommendations to the City Council on the designation of a property to an overlay district and on design guidelines for these districts.
- Application deadlines and meeting dates
- Design Review Board By-Laws
- Application forms
- Old Aiken Design Guidelines
- Historic Design Review Manual
- Chapter 5 of Zoning Ordinance
- Façade Grant: Section 10-9 enables the City’s Façade Improvement Grant Program to encourage renovating building facades in the downtown area. Click here to download the FAQs for the program. Click here for the façade grant application. Please note all applicants will require an approved Certificate of Appropriateness.