Permitting / Codes
City of Aiken Inspections & Inspection Results
The City of Aiken Building Inspections Division has implemented an online service called Click2Gov for Building Permits. This service allows contractors/builders and citizens to view the status of their inspections.
To access the building permit it is necessary to enter the permit (application) number issued at the time of application submission.
If you have any questions, please call the Building Inspection Division at 803-642-7675.
All inspection requests must be submitted by 4:00 pm for next business day inspections. Every attempt will be made to complete the inspection the next business day after the request. Any inspection requests made after 4 pm will be done within two business days.
Inspections are normally conducted between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Therefore, work to be inspected must be ready by 10:00 am. If work to be inspected is not ready by 10:00 am, please call 803-642-7675 and cancel the inspection request.
Inspections are normally conducted between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. The majority of time, we are unable to schedule specific times for an inspection. The number, type, and location of inspection, plus staff level dictate daily how we arrange our inspection schedule. However, there are occasions when it is necessary for us to arrange a specific time to conduct an inspection. These are done on a case by case basis and arranged by the staff and the Building Official.
The Building Inspection Division requires that street addresses (not lot number only) be posted and visible from the street. This applies to existing structures under construction and new construction. If the address is not visible, no inspection will be made.
A copy of the plans needs to be on the job site accessible to the Building Inspector.
Please note that “almost ready” is not ready and that requests for inspections where the work is not ready/complete may generate a re-inspection fee.
Inspections are considered ready under the following guidelines:
- Free of all vegetation
- Grade stakes
- Step downs
- Free of water
- Engineer’s reports when needed
- Plastic down
- Dirt compacted and level
- Engineer’s reports when needed
- All insulation in with thermal barrier (paper backing) facing to the interior of the house
- Holes sealed
- Baffles in
- All gas piping is complete
- Please note that per South Carolina Electric & Gas (SCE&G), permanent power must be set before gas meter is installed.
Plumbing under Slab
- 10’ head or 5 psi air test
- All trades complete
- Water test on DWV (drain waste vent)
- Water test on water lines
- No insulation yet
- House dried-in, shingles on, and windows in place
- House and garage are secured or a lock can be placed on the disconnect outside.
Final (turn-key or move-in ready)
- All appliances installed unless homeowner is supplying their own (please notify our office)
- Power and gas are on
- Water is on
- All mechanical units are present and in working order
- All patching and touch-up work has already been completed
- Street address numbers must be displayed visible from the street and not less than 2 ½” in height
- No furnishings in place before final inspection has been completed unless authorized by the Building Official (please call our office)
On September 25, 2006, City Council approved an ordinance which provides for a $50 re-inspection fee for commercial and residential construction projects. A re-inspection is defined in the ordinance, which is Section 10-2(6)(b) of the Aiken City Code, as follows:
Re-inspection Fees: Re-inspection is defined as any trip to a job site by inspection department officials that is in addition to those inspections specifically listed on the building permit card, or any trip made as a result of condemned or disapproved work or as the result of calling for inspections prior to the work being ready for inspection, as well as additional trips made by them because access to the structure to be inspected is not provided.
Re-inspection fees for residential and commercial construction projects shall be $50.00 for each re-inspection, payable prior to the re-inspection being made. The re-inspection fee is intended to discourage builders from practices that can result in significant lost time and additional travel cost for our Inspections staff as they work diligently to provide prompt and efficient service to property owners and builders throughout the City.
If an Inspector arrives at a site scheduled for an inspection and finds that the work is not complete and/or ready for inspection, a $50.00 fee will be charged to the builder/contractor. Other situations that can result in a re-inspection fee charge are:
- Buildings locked or no access provided.
- Code violations recorded on first correction notice not fixed at time of re-inspection.
The builder/contractor must come to the Inspection office and pay the $50.00 fee before any further inspections will be made. No money will be taken in the field. The primary purpose for this fee is to discourage the kinds of inspection requests that tie up Inspectors unnecessarily and contribute to additional City costs.
If there are any questions, please call the Building Inspection Division at 803-642-7675.