City of Aiken Inspections & Inspection Results
The City of Aiken Building Inspections Division has implemented an online Inspection Results Portal called Click2Gov for Building Permits. This service allows contractors/builders and citizens to view the status of their inspections.
To access the building permit, it is necessary to enter the permit (application) number issued at the time of application submission. You do not have to create a new user account to view scheduled inspections and inspection results.
Please click on the Click2Gov for Building Permits link above to read all disclaimers and use this service. If you have any questions, please call the Building Inspection Division at 803-642-7675.
Please submit inspection requests by 4:00 pm daily using the Building Inspection request line or by email listed below. In most cases, inspections will be done within two business days, excluding holidays. Please be aware that conditions beyond our control could extend the inspection time frame beyond two business days.
- Building Inspection request line: 803-642-7784 (leave a message – you will not receive a confirmation)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (you will not receive a confirmation email) for:
- inspection requests by 4:00 pm for inspections within the next two business days.
- required correction photos or documents (such as soil reports, engineer’s letters, manufacturer specs, etc.)
Inspections are normally conducted Monday through Friday between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Therefore, work to be inspected must be ready by 10:00 am. If work to be inspected is not ready by 10:00 am, please call the main office line at (803) 642-7675 to cancel the inspection request.
The majority of time, we are unable to schedule specific times for an inspection. The number, type, and location of inspections, plus staffing level dictate daily how we arrange our inspection schedule. However, there are occasions when it is necessary for us to arrange a specific time to conduct an inspection. These inspections are done on a case by case basis and are arranged by staff and/or the Building Official.
Required Documents and Correction Photos:
Please note that any correction photos or documents (soil reports, engineer’s letters, manufacturer specs, etc.) required by an Inspector must be received within 48 hours or no further inspections will be scheduled. Photos and documents should be emailed to email@example.com.
The Building Inspection Division requires at all times during construction that street addresses (not lot number only) be posted and visible from the street. This applies to existing structures under construction and new construction. If the address is not visible, no inspection will be made.
Plans and Inspection (Job Site) Card:
A copy of the plans needs to be on the job site accessible to the Building Inspector. The inspection (job site) card should be posted on the job site, out of the weather, and should be visible from the outside of the job location. The inspector does not write inspection results on the card, so cards can be placed inside a window, if necessary.
Please note that “almost ready” is not ready and that requests for inspections where the work is not ready or is incomplete may generate a reinspection fee.
Inspections are considered ready under the following guidelines:
- Footing inspection
- Free of all vegetation
- Grade stakes
- Step downs
- Free of water
- Engineer’s reports when needed
- Plumbing under Slab
- 10’ head
- Plastic down
- Dirt compacted and level
- Engineer’s reports when needed
- Foundation/Floor framing
- inspection prior to installation of floor decking
- Framing Rough-in
- frame only inspection before all trades rough-in inspection
- Rough-in All trades
- House dried-in, shingles on, and windows in place
- Water test on DWV (drain waste vent)
- Water test on water lines
- No insulation installed
- Inspection done after all rough-in inspections completed and approved
- Permanent power
- House and garage are secured or a lock can be placed on the disconnect outside.
- Permanent gas
- Pressure test with minimum 10 pounds of pressure on the line
- All gas piping is complete
- Final (turn-key or move-in ready)
- All appliances installed
- Power and gas are on
- Water is on
- All mechanical units are present and in working order
- All patching and touch-up work has already been completed
- Street address numbers must be displayed visible from the street and not less than 4” in height
- No furnishings in place before final inspection has been completed unless authorized by the Building Official (please call our office)
A Reinspection fee in the amount of $50.00 may be charged for the following reasons:
- Buildings locked or no access provided
- Code violations recorded on first correction notice not fixed at time of reinspection
- Work to be inspected is incomplete, ongoing, or not started
The builder/contractor must come to the Building Inspections office and pay the $50.00 fee before any further inspections will be made. No payment will be taken in the field, online, or over the phone. The reinspection fee is intended to discourage builders from practices that can result in significant lost time and additional travel cost for our Inspections staff as they work diligently to provide prompt and efficient service to property owners and builders throughout the City.
If there are any questions, please call the Building Inspection Division at 803-642-7675.